All About Sleep Hygiene
A holistic approach can help you optimise your sleep quality. Circadin has partnered with the award-winning sleep and mindfulness App AURA, to help you on your personalised journey to sleeping better and living better.*Terms and Conditions
Sleep hygiene refers to a range of everyday habits that can help you sleep better, such as avoiding alcohol or caffeinated drinks (like tea, coffee, or cola) close to bedtime, waking up at the same time each morning, and ensuring your room is at a comfortable temperature.
Poor sleep hygiene (sleep habits) is a common cause of sleep problems.
One of the most important steps in improving your sleep hygiene is to establish a regular sleep routine. This can involve maintaining regular pre-bed activities, keeping your bedroom surroundings relatively constant, and waking up at the same time each day. However, you should avoid going to bed if you aren’t tired, even if it means going to bed at irregular times.
Here are a few steps you could try:
- Avoid caffeinated drinks before going to bed
- Avoid napping during the day
- Limit your alcohol and cigarette use before bedtime
Learn more about sleep hygiene.
Click here to download a sleep hygiene fact sheet.
Melatonin supplementation is not associated with weight gain. However, poor sleep is linked with weight gain. People who are sleep deprived are more likely to be overweight: the shorter the sleep, the greater the likelihood of being overweight.
According to a 2014 study, low levels of melatonin in the body are associated with increased appetite and weight gain.3
People who were given much higher than normal doses of melatonin in a clinical study didn’t show any melatonin overdose symptoms. They didn’t feel any sleepier than people given normal doses and didn’t report any other adverse reactions.
If you’ve taken more than the recommended dose of melatonin, consult your doctor.
Good sleep habits and lifestyle changes should always be tried first to improve sleep.
Everyone struggles with sleep occasionally, but if it keeps happening then seeking advice is the healthy thing to do.
Make more of every day.
¥Wade AG, et al. Curr Med Res Opin. 2007; 23(10):2597-2605; supported by Neurim.
- CIRCADIN® Consumer Medicine Information (CMI).
- Wade AG, et al. BMC Medicine. 2010;8:51. Funded by Neurim Pharmaceuticals, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Wade AG, et al. Curr Med Res Opin. 2007;23(10):2597-2605. Funded by Neurim Pharmaceuticals, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Zisapel N. Open Neuroendocrinology J. 2010;3:85-95.
- Luthringer R, et al. Int Clin Psychopharmacol. 2009;24:239-249. Sponsored by Neurim Pharmaceuticals, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Haimov I, et al. Sleep. 1995;18(7):598-603. Funded by Neurim Pharmaceuticals, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- CIRCADIN® Product Information. Last amended 11 November 2020.
- Lemoine P, et al. J Sleep Res. 2007;16:372-380. Sponsored by Neurim Pharmaceuticals, Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Arendt J, Skene DJ. Sleep Med Rev. 2005;9:25-39. Sponsored by Neurim Pharmaceuticals, Tel Aviv, Israel.